> Shouldn't stuff like that be written and C and made a loadable
> library?

It depends.  If it's written in Lua, it's completely portable but,
granted, slow.  But for many applications (prototyping) the
performance hit will be negligible.

I'm all for making it a loadable module when you really need the best
performance (and, in fact, you could have parallel C and Lua
implementations so you can choose which one you want), but I'm still
not clear what the status is for loadable modules on 5.0.

Brian