> Alternatively it could make collection rate be proportional
> to object creation rate (though still with a lower limit on
> rate).

This is more-or-less the current implementation. The rate is
proportional to memory consumption. There is no lower limit. If a
program stops allocating new memory, the collector also stops.
(Lua 5.0 also works that way.)

> if 5.1work1 has some instrumentation to log object lifetimes I'd be
> happy to run it against my apps and submit the results.

Sorry, nothing like that. It does have lots of instrumentation, but
for correcness only.

-- Roberto