I believe C++ must also decide at runtime. Couldn't Lua just ignore
operand values when executing overloaded "and" and "or"? In any case
you know the code so I should probably defer to your judgment on this.
I might take a look at the code if that's Ok, just to see if I can
think of a good solution. I'm reasonably experienced in implementing
interpreters.

> > I am working on layout processing software and I find it
> would be useful
> > to overload these operators in order to specify design rules.
>
> Have you exhausted the other six operators? (+ - * / .. ^)

I need the (+ - * /) operators for similar things to what they do now.
The (.. ^) operators are a possibility but their precedence makes them
problematic. Another possibility would be a generic user definable
operator such as ~operator_name~. I could then write something like
"e1.x - e2.x < 50 ~or~ e1.x - e2.x > 200". I realize this is probably
a major change. I'm just thinking out loud.

In any case I really like Lua. I downloaded it about a year ago and
started incorporating it into new tools. I initially got a bit of
flack for introducing a new language into our department. However it
worked so well that everyone seems to be happy now.

Ram