On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 03:59:32PM +0200, Asko Kauppi wrote:
> Why not make this kind of things under some 'nonportable.*' namespace?
>
> I mean, hiding them under 'io.*' is not the optimal solution. To begin
> with, undocumented features are not optimal anyhow (if someone uses
> them).

The popen function is a bit special. It is a POSIX feature and would
on that basis belong in the posix library. But on the other hand, it
deals with standard C FILE*, and as at least I'm not aware of other such
POSIX functions, it would belong in io among other FILE* routines.

At least popen should not exist in the io table if it is not available,
IMHO. Maybe the posix library could even provide it there, although
such a breach of namespaces should not be encouraged.

--
Tuomo