Ashwin,
Thanks for your note.  I read the debug stuff before posting but assumed it wasn't meant for runtime use. I guess I should be more specific.  I need to retrieve a few thousand functions names per second. Under the debug section it says "The lua_getinfo function checks how the function was called or whether it is the value of a global variable to find a suitable name. If it cannot find a name, then name is set to NULL."  So if I have:

function Foo()
    -- some code here
end

And then...

function Fooey()
    SetSomeValueInTheCHost(Foo)
end

And my C host has...

int SetSomeValueInTheCHost(lua_State *luaStatePtr)
{
    // the first value on the lua stack is a function, how can I get the name fast here?
    // candidates include getfuncname or getobjname?
}

With the decalration as per above, would getfuncname or getobjname retrieve anything useful? Is there a better/faster way?

Thanks,
Brett