> But presumably if someone contributed code and assigned you the copyright
> you'd be happy with that?

Sure.

> (I offered my bitlib under those conditions in the past; I think you
> declined for other reasons than the copyright issue.)

We declined that because we were (and still are) not completely
confortable with the concept of bit operations over Lua numbers (which
by default are double-precision floating-point). (Some bit operations
have "similars" as arithmetic operations: shifts versus product/division
by powers of 2, complement, etc. Our dream would be to define all
them as arithmetic operations, but it seems that we need at least one
"primitive" bit operator to do that.)

-- Roberto