John Belmonte wrote:

I understand how this could save memory in a Lua table represent ion of an XML document. The "parsing more source document as necessary" is arguable. I've found it best to run an XML document through a validator like relax-ng before using it, relieving my program from the task of ad-hoc validation. Considering this, the XML often has already been parsed before your program gets to it.

True if your XML is a 'document'. But often it is a 'stream' (like in the Jabber case), so one needs to use SAX like approaches. For this I think the lazynode approach would be very nice.
-Martin