On Thursday 19 February 2004 14:07, hyperbob@walla.com wrote:
> I thought that in Python you could also compile a stand-alone executable
> including the Python interpreter, wxWindows and wxPython, no?

Yes, but Lua requires only about 200 kB; I believe Python's requirements are
at least an order of magnitude larger.

> Will my program stop perceptibly to collect garbage?

As Christian said, it probably won't. In WxLua you'll have to be careful not
to block processing (e.g with lenghty calculations). Roberto's book shows how
to use coroutines to avoid blocking during complex algorithms.

Also, be careful to use the right tools when doing lots of string
concatenations (the book covers this matter too); I once fell into that trap
when designing a relatively small evolutionary neural network and, just to
save 1 MB or so, I got a 2 minutes save time with 1 GB of extra memory usage
:-)

  Enrico