> I have a case where tables refer to
> each other creating a bunch of cyclic references and
> the memory consumption seems to grow beyond
> reasonable point. It stops growing eventually at
> pretty high number.

We've experienced something similar (huge mem
consumption up to some fabulously high bound) in our
Win98 based Lua 4 project.  In our case it turned out
to be caused by the (Borland) memory manager that got
confused by the typical scripting allocation
behaviour.  We solved that particular problem by
moving to the excellent dlmalloc memory manager.

--
Wim