> It seems to me that it would be simpler to set a
> global error handling function than to specify it
> for every call to lua_pcall?

Maybe the devs could reserve a psuedoindex.  Then you could put your default
error handler there and never have to do "munging" stack ops to use it.  And
if you still wanted the flexibility of specifying a particular error handler
for a call you could still do so.  Of course a "helper macro" that supplies
the psuedoindex to lua_pcall so that you don't have to do so on every call
would be nice too.