>oddly enough, if you specify '-ansi' when compiling on linux,
>a single ^C both interrupts and terminates the interpreter:

[...]

>probably a glibc issue since, on freebsd, -ansi makes no difference

It's probably a header issue, because it's enough use -ansi only to compile
lua.o; the rest of the code can be compiled and linked without -ansi.

In RH 5.2 (yes, I still run that in my machine at Tecgraf), compiling lua.c
with -ansi gives you __sysv_signal instead of signal. In RH 9 I found no such
difference (and so no explanation...).

Anyway, don't we always hit ^C more than once if once does not seem to work?
--lhf