> Is there a way to set a flag or property on a lua variable such that
> when it gets modified a callback can be invoked?

In Lua `variables' are stored in tables.  The Lua way to trap modifications
on a table is by using metamethods.  You have to take some care because
write access (through __newindex) is only trapped for keys that are not yet
in the table, etc.

I would certainly try this `official' approach before diving into the Lua
sources.  Write me if you need some hints.

--
Wim