>from a cursory look, it seems it may have better error messages

That's the kind of quality we're after, if it comes with simplicity,
which seems to be the case.

>The one thing I might change in Eli's code would be to use lua_concat
>to prepend the underscore to the function name (instead of malloc).
>That way there are no conflicts if somebody changes the lua allocation
>routines.

That sounds like a good idea. It'll probably be cleaner to use lua_pushfstring
instead.

>Or else, use the dynamically sized array trick that's in
>the code I posted -- since this is very platform-specific code, that
>doesn't seem dangerous.

Doesn't that depend on gcc rather than just on OS X?
I think the lua_concat/lua_pushfstring solution is a better one.

--lhf