Hi,

I have always found documentation inside code to be pretty much a
waste of time.  I find the whole mode of exposition when writing
comments in code is inside out.  It makes it so hard to write decent
flowing text due to the constraints any programming language puts on
me.

Personally I will go for Literate Programming with a tool like noweb
every time.  The idea is to write a document that has snippets of code
where you want them in your document and have a tool (noweb, for
example) extract all the code snippets and put them in the order
needed for any kind of compiler or interpreter.

The problem with this approach is, that programmers actually have to
think quite carefully about the problem they are solving and the way
they are solving it.  It does not lend itself to quick turnaround
semi-hacking debugger led coding.  That has lead to very poor
integration with IDE's and debuggers and the like.  Shame.

Anyway, just my 2p,
Robby

PS noweb can be found at http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/noweb/
--- Begin Message ---

Asko Kauppi wrote:
This is Lua list, so over and out?

I don't know -- I find the whole discussion very interesting
myself, since I'm looking for a self-documenting source
solution that I can use for both C and Lua.  I was glad
to find the link to Natural Docs in this thread, for one
thing.

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3