> 1. Are there any common platforms that would have hard time with
> setjmp/longjmp C functions and thus with Lua error function in
> general. How about game consoles? PDAs?

Both seem like simple operations in a stack architecture. But almost
any operation can be too slow in a specific machine.

> 2. Does calling 'error' impair garbage collection in any way? That is,
> if I had some user data referenced in a function that calls error would
> such user data be collected properly?

No and yes.

> 3. If you have used 'error' for exceptions, what are you
> impressions? What worked, what didn't?

One problem is that you must differentiate between exceptions and
"real" errors. Another is that the "try" clause must be a function
call. You can (should?) use anonymous functions for that, but then each
"try" creates a new function. This is not too bad, but it causes some
overhead. It is cheaper to use a fixed function for that, but the code
may not look so clean.

-- Roberto