Sigh.  My apologies to all for a wastingly emotional post.
I am not a Lua master, but I found it incredibly simple to "get".

I have to admit that I am befuddled at how "something so simple" in the
realm of script extensions to an application can be difficult to work out
using Lua.

Tim, would you please resend me <directly> your descriptions of what you
having been trying to accomplish.  If I'm moved enough to gripe I should be
moved enough to pay serious attention to the subject.  Quite likely I'll
learn something from the process.  Thanks.

Again, my apologies to all, and I'll search my office for that self
restraint system that I should be using to keep myself from wasting list
bandwidth (based on attention and time of those involved, not precious
bytes).

------
------
<background I rambled that few probably care to actually read, but if your
are really bored go ahead, just don't reply about it to the whole list
please>

I started with embedding Lua 4 into a "scientific type" application.  The
point of embedding scripting for me started as a way to avoid constant
"project switching" to support the main development team's continual
experimenting with different ways of analyzing the data.  Once started, I
quickly used Lua to implement the "file format" for the program because it
was easier to make a general purpose file reader/writer capable of handling
tree structures and numerous data types than to support the goofy automatic
file naming/directory structure dependent system "they" suggested for
indicating relationships between separate data sets, and intermediate
analysis data generated from operations on multiple base datasets.
Furthermore, I quickly implemented a library loading system through Lua to
decouple the development of the data capture system from the data display
and analysis tools (and the capture system then plugged into the
display/analysis UI).

Of course, lo and behold Lua 5 (with a standardized library loading system,
coroutines, and honestly a host of tiny fixes to what I felt were minor
deficiencies) had been released a mere 3 days after I started this process
(a shame I didn't notice it for 2 weeks).

All of this "joy" with Lua came after I investigated several other scripting
languages and how to connect them to an application (which generally was
really annoying though SWIG makes many of them not monumentally annoying to
start using, but merely "simply" more annoying than writing a parser to hand
make a very limited scripting system).