> It's not a big deal, but I'm curious. Is there any intention of
> including '!=' as an alternative to '~='? I was even thinking
> about including that locally myself, but it would be very nice
> if the standard syntax supported it as well.

I don't think there is any intention of doing this. You can make the
change easily, I think its only one character. But, as soon as you do it
you don't have Lua, you have another language. Lua is not C!

IMHO if it was to be changed "~=" should be abandoned and all code
changed over to "!=". Having two optional forms of ~= would be silly.

Regards,
Nick