> Not quite true. How about a["1"]? Should it be equivalent to a.1? This will
> clearly pose problems for those strings that cannot be valid identifiers
> (considering Lua's grammar).

This is a bit of a red herring. The original point was "why can't we use
identifiers that happen to be reserved words, since there's no ambiguity?"
1 is not an identifier, so asking for a.1 to be allowed is asking for an
extension to the sugar. Wanting to use J1.1 rather than J1[1] seems odd to
me anyhow, although I can imagine that for connectors it might seem
reasonable to think of pin numbers as names rather than indexes into an
array.

--
http://www.mupsych.org/~rrt/ | irrevocable, a.  expensive; see also lawyer