> It would be most helpful if, in some future Lua version, as much of the
> C functionality that calls back into Lua (meta methods, pcall, sort,
> foreach, etc.) were implemented in a manner that does not consume
> C stack. This would allow functionality that depends on yielding to be
> used from whithin such functions. Are there any such plans?

The problem is that we still do not know a way to do it without bad side
effects on performance and complexity. For "pcall", "sort", and those
kind of functions it seems practically impossible (unless we change the
whole way that Lua interacts with C). For metamethods and "for" this is
an internal problem and there is some chance that Lua 5.1 will solve
it.  It is not high in our priority list, but it is in the list ;)

-- Roberto