From: lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br
[mailto:lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br]On Behalf Of Kevin Baca
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 4:40 PM
To: 'Lua list'
Subject: RE: Running a script in each Lua thread.

The docs on this are a little vague:

Section 3.20
Each thread has an independent global environment table. When you create
a thread, this table is the same as that of the given state, but you can
change each one independently.

Where it says "you can change each one independently" that means you can
*replace* each one independently.

IOW, each thread can have a unique global table, but it's up to you to
actually give each thread a unique global table.

Here's some code that demonstrates this:

C code
------
lua_State* LA = lua_open();
luaopen_base( LA );	//get the base lib

lua_State* LB = lua_newthread( LA );

//LB is an independent thread, but its globals
//table is still the same as LA's globals table,
//so we'll replace it with a new table.
//The new table is set up so it will still look
//to LA's globals for items it doesn't contain.

lua_newtable( LB );    //new globals table
lua_newtable( LB );    //metatable
lua_pushliteral( LB, "__index" );
lua_pushvalue( LB, LUA_GLOBALSINDEX );  //original globals
lua_settable( LB, -3 );
lua_setmetatable( LB, -2 );
lua_replace( LB, LUA_GLOBALSINDEX );    //replace LB's globals

//Two scripts, each with a doit() function

lua_dofile( LA, "scriptA.lua" );
lua_pushliteral( LA, "doit" );
lua_gettable( LA, LUA_GLOBALSINDEX );
lua_resume( LA, 0 );