What about when I'm using the C API and calling the table functions from the host program?

On Oct 1, 2003, at 12:12 PM, Adam D. Moss wrote:

Tim Conkling wrote:
If I know that a given table will never have a metatable associated with it, is there a significant speed advantage to calling the "raw" table functions rather than gettable and settable?

No... in fact I believe that rawget/rawset are actually slower
in practice because they incur a function call overhead; 'normal'
get/set have their own specialized vm opcodes.