From: RLake@oxfam.org.uk [mailto:RLake@oxfam.org.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 12:37 PM
To: Tai Meng
Subject: RE: Confused about proper tail calls

> Do you know if chunks behave differently when making tail calls?

I was going to say "no", but I checked the code (always an option for you
:)

The loop at ldebug.c line 103, and in particular that line, lead me to
believe that the first call frame is handled differently. Now, what the
first call frame is depends on how you are calling the script, so I don't
really have enough information to say one way or another.

A chunk is just a function, though. That is clear enough.

You might want to use luac -l to take a look at the VM code generated for
your test script, in order to convince yourself (or not) that it is a
tailcall. You can tell because the opcode will be TAILCALL :)

Good luck,
R.