The approach I would (and will when I'm at the same point you are) take, is to entirely not use lua's io library and create my own.

It's pretty easy to wrap the lua calls around c calls (and in my case, much more sophisticated file access: save/load resources, etc) and it affords you complete flexibility and control...

ando