From: virgil@nomadics.com [mailto:virgil@nomadics.com]
Sent: 11 September 2003 23:09
To: 'Lua list'
Subject: RE: First post: Hierarchal Data storage...

This is very easy to implement into your own file format (I've done it myself in about 2 days work and I dove in slightly too quickly and had to rework my format once (so it should be doable in less than a day of effort if you get serious about it).

On a side note I think that several implementations have been released publicly (especially if all you need to support is tables, numbers, strings, booleans, and functions).  For my purposes I needed to add support for storing user data's.  I could have quickly hard coded for the one that I needed for that first application, but it was very simple to generalize this so that each type of user data can embed its own encoding into the file.  This requires that the userdatas have functions registered for reading/writing (serializing/deserializing though in my case I "serialized" to a Lua table and a special "blob" userdata rather than a string).

So just code up a "write" function with a switch case based off of the lua_type of the supplied argument, stamp down a short type indicator and any number/string/boolean/nil you get, recurse for tables writing out key/value pairs, apply some string.dump (or its C native equivalent) magic to get byte code for functions, decide what you want to do with your user data's, and probably write off thread objects as unsaveable (you could save them, but it'd be a bit of work).

Alternatively you can try to dig up some precoded solutions (nice of course if you wish to be interoperable with some other systems, but probably more time consuming to dig up and integrate that to just code it yourself).