I have a question regarding some functionality that lua may lack, and if in fact lua lacks it, how to go about it.

Here is my scenario.

I have an indeterminable number of lua scripts that are each objects in their own right. Basically it allows one to customize the different objects used in gameplay with lua rather than having to recompile the objects each time they change. My issue is as follows:

I thought a good idea would be to have a wrapper lua script that somehow gets all the object names (I really don't want to have to define them, since that just adds a layer of complexity for the end user.

Is there any platform independent way of getting this information? I conceivably could use ifndef's and use platform dependent functions in c++ and then pass that onto lua, but that feels like a kludge overall. If anyone has any advice in regard to this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I hope I've just not read the manual entirely and have missed some function that would aid in it, but I have browsed it pretty well. The whole issue is being platform independent.

Thanks in advance,

-----

Michael Bernstein

"Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious"
--George Orwell, 1984