> People may be interested to know that Lua4 seems to exhibit far fewer
> problems when porting to PalmOS.

We are very interested to know about that. We try to make Lua more
portable every time. If Lua 5.0 is worse than 4.0 in that aspect,
something went wrong (and we should learn about it).

> Perhaps we can track down the owner of one of the source forge
> projects for PalmOS Lua and make the work public. I assume the authors
> of Lua have no problem with this so long as the original copyright
> messages remain intact, just to be sure I will read through the
> licence later.

As long as the goal is clear (build a port of Lua to PalmOS) and you
do not call the project "Lua" ("plua" is already taken, but LuaPalm,
PalmLua, or anything like that is ok), there is no problem at all. Quite
the opposite:  We also long for an open port of Lua to Palm.

-- Roberto