Funny that you should ask. Recently, at my company we had
a problem that had all the manifestations that you describe.

But first a full disclosure: we were not using Lua and LHF
is right - you are most certainly overwriting code with
data somewhere in your code.

The only way to solve this problem is by doing a detailed
code review. We found out that the programmer who wrote the
code passed in a pointer to a stack variable and had saved
it is a member of an object that outlived the scope of the
function in which this pointer was obtained.

Elsewhere the contents of this pointer (which is now pointing
to la-la land) was being written to by a validation routine,
effectively punching holes in the program code randomly.

No amount of debugging sessions will be of any help other than
to sit down and do a detailed code review. Review the changes
made to the code line from the last check in to the one where you
see this problem.

My $0.02 of course!

Vijay Aswadhati