>> When instantiated each widget has about 10
>> lua stub scripts pre-assigned to them.
>
> Is this really necessary?

Yes, this is very important as without the "stub" definition, the user would
not know what parameters are passed, what they mean, etc

>> I expect that at most 1 in 20 scripts will actually get
>> defined by the user and so it'll be a huge savings to release
>> the memory of the other 19.
>
> Those 19 handlers should be nil.

EXACTLY!  That's what I am attempting to determine: which 19 of the 20 are
the undefined one's and can therefore be nil'd out and which 1 in 20 is
defined and so must be kept around.

Ando