Mark Hamburg wrote:
Looking at the VM and the compiler, I'm guessing that the colon always goes
through OP_SELF and essentially nothing else does? Is this correct?

Yes, I think so.

If so, could one teach OP_SELF to look for another metatable entry -- e.g.,
__self -- in addition to __index? That way, one could put the "I only want
to be used in a colon-operator call" C functions in the __self table and be
assured that they were being used with the right datatype?

Or is there more that would need to be done? (I know that TM_SELF would
probably need the same optimizations as TM_INDEX.)

Is this a reasonable proposal?

Yes.

Hi Mark,

I've experimented with this idea too. There is a patch at the bottom of my wiki page:

http://lua-users.org/files/wiki_insecure/users/pshook/lua-5.0-self.patch

- Peter