>I've done pretty much the same thing as Ando, except that I added accessor functions to the API to prevent the base library from needing access to the lua_State internals.

I really think the best way is to copy luaB_print and change it to your needs
and then register this as "print". No need mess with the internals of Lua.
Plus your code will work in any version of Lua. I mean, you won't have to add
your changes every time a new version of Lua comes out. Bottom line: write Lua
libraries to extend Lua, if possible -- try to avoid changing the core of Lua.
--lhf