>I recently compiled Lua 5 with the Hitachi EC++ compiler for SH4 and I had to
>make some changes. They led to the following questions and suggestions.

Could you please send those changes to the Lua team directly so that we can
see what can be incoporated in the base code and make it yet more portable?
Thanks.

>1. In liolib.c, you use CLOCKS_PER_SEC. Shouldn't it be CLK_TCK?

No. that's all that ANSI C provides.
See http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/clock.html

>1. For the next Lua version, can you save the compiled Lua script in a
>machine-independent way?

It has been so since the introduction of luac in Lua 2.4.
See http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2003-05/msg00357.html

Or did you mean more machine independency?
--lhf