Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

Is this safe ?
Yes. (But it only works when there is a hook.) You can also add those
lines outside that "if" (but then you have a higher perfomance penalty).

-- Roberto

PS: Actually you do not need that code. All you need is a count
hook. Lua unlocks its mutex before calling the hook.

Actually the unlock/lock get's called every time (I've broke the if statement there!).
I thought about using a count hook - but just unlocking and then locking again seemd
much more simple, since with a hook I need an alarm to set the hook if the current thread has had its share of time. The situation I'am worried about with unlock/lock (inside main interpreter loop) is a case where thread A running lua with state L1 gets preempted by thread B wich calls a lua script with state L1 (same state).

I've had a closer look at hooks and now I see it is the safest way.

thanks savin