The Vector3 example in the original post can certainly be done using user data, sorry for the misleading remark. But, I don't see how one can design a userdata or table in such a way that standard math.abs would work on it, for instance. On you LBC library, can one say something like this

print (math.abs (bc) )

without any modifications to abs?

Alex.