Why not try Visual Basic-like syntax?  Or C++-like syntax?  Or Fortran-like
syntax?

Why spend all of your time wishing something like whitespace had meaning?
Do you buy a book to look at the space between the lines?  Formatting should
be about readability, not syntactical meaning.  The very term formatting
deals with presentation, not interpretation.

I think lua is fine the way it is.  Just indent your blocks - because you
can - for readability, and your indented blocks will remind you to drop your
end statements into place.

Or, you could just stick with Python if you find it so superior to lua.

I mean, you don't see people walking around wishing for English-like syntax
in Chinese....  Just pick a language and use it.

That's my rant for the year.

Richard