> Perhaps I'm missing something, are you saying that with a different
> version of the code, containing different functions the above code
> wouldn't work? I was advocating blocking functions explicitly when they
> are deemed "unsafe". The above example with openfile is from Lua 4, Lua
> 5 uses io.open so it will of course need changing, as it would if you
> had different libraries bound. The above process is not in any way
> automatic.

I think what he's saying is that someone might *extend* the io library
in an upwards-compatible way which results in the addition of more
unsafe methods. For example, I might have an io library which adds
io.opendir(d); this will not interfere with any code using the
existing io library, except that the guardian doesn't know to delete
it.

R.