On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 05:29 AM, Wim Couwenberg wrote:

It should be possible to halt a M&S algorithm at (almost) any stage if you divide collectible objects in "even" and "odd" generations. Each GC cycle only considers object of a single (current) generation. Then switch the parity that will be used for newly created objects at the beginning of each GC cycle. Marking must be an atomic operation and it flips the objects'
generation.

You can get a lot more fine grained than that.
If you want to read up on incremental GC :

Paul Wilson's GC survey. extremely informative.
ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/garbage/gcsurvey.ps

Wilson and Johnstone's real time GC. I implemented this in my language.
ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/garbage/GC93/wilson.ps

--
--- james mccartney   james@audiosynth.com   <http://www.audiosynth.com>
SuperCollider - a real time audio synthesis programming language for MacOS X.