On Sunday 01 June 2003 13.06, Deneb aka Alpha Cygnus wrote:
[...Pascal style "with"...]
> Well, any way, its just a suggestion, nothing more. Since Lua
> already has pascal-like syntax, why not take one more construct
> from there? ;-)

Either way, it won't hurt me if I don't use it, so I don't really mind
all that much. ;-)

> Slightly off-topic: for me the main difference
> between Pascal and Lua syntax is = and ==, thanks god (and the
> authors of Lua) that assignment does NOT return a value and using =
> in "if" causes a syntax error :)

Yeah, that's very nice.

As to C, I've switched to always writing "if(<value> == <variable>)
..." when possible, so the code won't compile at all if I accidentaly
type '=' instead of '=='. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for
variables... *heh*

Then again, "-Wall -Werror" (GCC) does trap any use of '=' in a
condition, unless it's marked as "I really mean this!" by extra
parentheses. I use it all the time.