On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 12:39 PM, James McCartney wrote:
I've often wondered if it were possible to design a memory such that pointers are not a number but an open circuit. Close the circuit and the power to the objects' "live" bits turns off and they cease to exist. More of a metaphor than something that could be implemented directly. But some way of using hardware circuits to do your pointer tracing at the speed of light.

When logic and memory inevitably become merged in future computer architectures, I suspect something like this will be done. The machine could send a "mark" message to it's root node periodically. Each node would forward the mark message to those it referenced. A node that hasn't received a mark message in a given time period could safely assume itself garbage and power down and wait for a allocation message for it's type.

Cheers,
Steve
OSX freeware and shareware: http://www.dekorte.com/downloads.html