The new lua-l doesn't seem as responsive as the old one. Should we still be using the old list, or can we start using the new one?

To answer the userdata question:

It's important to remember that lua_newuserdata is just a wrapper around
some form or malloc.  You have take a stance on who will keep track of
the memory resouces being used: either Lua or C/C++.  If you let Lua
malloc some memory for the structure, you need to be careful with your
copy constructors and assignment operators in C++.  You may be better
off just putting a pointer to your C++ object in the userdata.

- Peter Shook