> Memory expands uncontrollably, and I cannot get at the objects which are
> occupying memory. So it "might as well be a memory leak". :)

Of course you can. You only have to traverse the weak table. So it may
look like a duck, but it does not quack ;-)

> This means that tables in Lua can only grow without ever shrinking back.

They shrink, but only when they have enough "movement". For instance, in
your program, if you add a new element to the table (e.g., "t.x = 1") it
will shrink.

>   A memory leak is where allocated memory(2) is not freed although it is
> never used again.

This is a funny definition. If I do "a = {}" and never use "a" again, I
have a memory leak... So memory leaks are non-computable.

-- Roberto