On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:57:18PM -0300, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> > I'm wondering why the subscription request doesn't clear immediately.
> > Is it necessary to moderate subscription requests before there is
> > evidence that spam systems will abuse it?
>
> Subscriptions are not moderated, but the system automatically asks for
> a confirmation. This confirmation not only prevents spam, but also
> prevents "others from gratuitously subscribing you."

Irritatingly it also prevents me from using a task-address for
subscribing all of my local site to the mailing list in a single
subscription, thus reducing the amount of mail traffic we deal with ;-)

But this is the price we pay for reduced spam on the list I suppose.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                               http://www.digital-scurf.org/
Hostmaster, Webmaster, and Chief Code Wibbler          Digital-Scurf Unlimited