On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 11:24 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

I was interested in playing with the Lua virtual machine and tyring to
compile some other languages for it.

It will be interesting to see whether the particular semantics of Lua fits
other languages. Please report any results here.

Yeah, I thought it would be interesting too. I'm starting with R (http://www.r-project.org) since it is "similar" in how it does things like objects, functions, environments, etc. Should be fun.

Is there a specification for the VM I can read, even an old one?

All there is are the comments in lopcodes.h . The Lua VM is a tool to implement
Lua, not a general purpose VM.

Alright, I'll read through that. I guess I should probably start with writing a disassembler then.

Or, am I stuck reading code?  Thanks.

Yes, you need to read lvm.c to see the details of semantics.

Thanks again.  I'll let you know what becomes of it.

-----
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/