On Wed 30 Apr, RLake@oxfam.org.uk wrote:

> >like travelling from Manhattan to Newark via
> >Montreal.
>
> And what more pleasant way is there to travel? :)

Granted!

> Unlike North American geography, which appears to be immutable, one could
> decide to compile Lua as integer-only, which would effectively translate
> Manhattan to the outskirts of NDG, where it might feel a bit foreign. But
> in any case,

I did do that once. It would be quite convenient if as well as the
abstraction 'Lua_Number' in the API there were also the abstraction
'Lua_MachineInt' for address displacements. Of course Lua itself
avoids using such things externally, but other software often
does not. Most of my problems have originated somewhere with
the business of coercing between these two sorts of number.

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wraith.u-net.com)
Home page: http://www.wraith.u-net.com/