> I think Curt is right.  Preappending a "do return end" will skip all of my
> function definitions.  Hmmm, so I guess I am back to my original problem.
> How do I load the compiled source and definitions without execution.
>
> I really appreciate everyone's help.
>
> Jim

The problem is that The Lua Way to load in functions and definitions _is_ to execute them. Since a function doesn't have any "place" in a Lua state unless it's referenced somewhere, there has to be code that puts it there...so what you're asking is tantamount to "run parts of the code, but not the other parts".
What are you trying to do? why do you need this? I think some clarification about your actual situation would really help us help you.

Ben