> If anybody can give me any insight into the best way to work this system
> I'd appreciate it greatly.

I'm not a gamer, but as a Lua fanatic, I don't like letting newbie questions
go unanswered.  If you want to call Lua functions from C++, you'll need
to stash them in a sub-table of either the Registry or the table of globals,
and then you can invoke them with lua_pcall from your C++ code.

I've put another example on the wiki here
http://lua-users.org/wiki/CallingLuaFromCpp

If you need to store Lua values associated with a C++ object, you can use
lightuserdata
(pointers to C++ objects) as keys to Lua values stored in a table.

Cheers,

- Peter Shook