Tuesday, March 25, 2003, 11:56:21 AM, RLake wrote:

> [...] The point was a version of frexp which was not dependent on
> external libraries

Yeah, that's why I mentioned the license... you could just grab the
one function, frexp, and the supporting macros in the header: two
source files, no library.

> and which was "religious" in the sense that it knows nothing about
> number format and conforms only to ANSI C.

Well, I was assuming IEEE-754.

I had planned to mention all this but "fat fingered" the send button
before I was done with the message.

> [...] As far as I can see, the implementation is identical to the
> current glibc in both cases, which is not surprising really.

Right, except that the license for newlib is more liberal.

> The version which I posted, while it is obviously slower, is pure ANSI C
> and does not rely on any feature of floating point arithmetic except that
> multiplicative overflow either generates infinity or the largest possible
> floating point number.

Cool. I was just trying to be helpful to you or others who might need
more speed, a liberal license, in a well tested inplementation. Your
implementation clearly has portability advantages.

Peace.