i think that u will need to work  out some isues for tolua to get
working with lua5 beta. The same thing is happening with other lua
addons/tools. I guess the authors of "tolua, lua2c, luna, luasql
etc." will start porting them to lua5 once the lua5 FINAL releases.
  i will ask for one more thing, please put lua2c into place(for
lua5) as soon as possible, As whenever small timers of lua, got stuck
they put the code generated by lua2c directly into their C code. Just
for this reason i am still mostly using lua4 and impatiently waiting
for lua5.
  One more thing, please put a good new/updated document ASAP on
 1)lua 5 VM architecture,
 2) on C interface  of lua5
 3) how to write new embedded libraries of lua 5 with simple example
so that the whole confusion between lua 4 and 5 for small time users
of lua, gets eroded.
  This is needed because i fel that there are three types of lua
users:
  One, who are deeply engrossed into each and every apect of lua from
parsing and VM to everything.
  Second , who are very beginners who are just interested in its
command line shell uses or just embedding it.
  Third and the largest number, i guess, is of like us who are not
novice but have middle level understanding, but also dont have enough
time to keep themselve updated with everytime lua interfaces and
architecture changes as they are just using lua to embed into their
apps and are working full time into apps not on lua.

i think i am not asking too much.
bye :-)
Ashish
India