Just to be clear:

>and,
>
>lua_pushvalue(L, LUA_GLOBALSINDEX);
>
>behaves like:
>
>lua_getglobals(L);

so you're saying that wherever I called lua_getglobals(L), I can now
start calling lua_pushvalue(L, LUA_GLOBALSINDEX) instead?

After reading everyone's responses, I'm feeling a little flustered --
how in the world are everyone learning this stuff?  Reading the
implementation code?  I can't find any docs, the mailing list
archives are a bit, er, fractured (especially as 5 went from alpha to
beta, and now some changes to final), there isn't much sample source,
yet somehow everyone else here has clued in on how this stuff works
and I haven't.

Granted, I haven't taken the time to just read all the Lua source
code, but I was hoping that was a last resort =|

Brian