>> Also, the question of binary operators: they must be the same type. So
>> c = udata( 4 )
>> d = 6
>> if c < d  -- assertion failure
>> then
>>
>> what if my metamethod __lt can cope with any type ?

Rici Lake:
> I take your point here, but it is a contentious issue. OO languages do
> not deal very well with binary operators, and there is much debate about
> this issue. What if c and d both have _lt metamethods? Which one wins?
> Why should it be the first one (if that is what you are thinking)?
>
> Binary dispatch is probably the answer, but that is complicated (and
> can be slow, too.)

Rici, what did you think of my post a while back that suggested removing the
current internally defined dispatch routine, instead allowing users to
define their own to suit their needs?

*cheers*
Peter Hill.

Ki: Contractors... high-paid leeches stealing our work.
Fooker: If you think of them as disposable employees, you'll feel much
better...