Lua provides some object 'syntactic sugar' allowing methods and such for
those who like them but *until now* has never enforced this OO methodology
on users. The new io library, however, seems to *require* using methods to
read from general files.

I have to say that I don't like this at all, and I also think it is very
un-Lua (which like to keep things basic). It is also rather unnecessary.
The io library could either provide an 'io.fread' command, or allow an
optional file argument to the standard 'io.read'.

*imploringly*
Peter Hill.